Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Dancing Geometry with the Cupid Shuffle

Hi, we've decided to venture off with our own blogs! Please go to teachitivity.blogspot.com to find my new post related to dance. See you there. 

I did this my first year teaching but thought I would share it with everyone. For the kids who beat on tables, sing, and couldn't care less about math, this is the perfect way to teach transformations in geometry.

Part 1: Students trace their footprint on large paper and then recreate their footprint using rotations, reflections, and translations.
Part 2: Introduce the lyrics, song, and the ORIGINAL dance.
Part 3: Students work together to choreograph/create steps and hand gestures to help them remember the vocabulary terms and communicate the dance to others well.

Here's the link to the youtube video of the original Cupid Shuffle. Hit the chorus and the lyrics work PERFECTLY: Original Cupid Shuffle video

Have fun!!!! We had a blast learning geometry this way and my kids still remembered the geometry concepts by the end of the year. This was one of my favorite things I've ever done in the classroom.

-K :)

No comments:

Post a Comment