Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Discussion Cube

With Common Core at a forefront in education today and also just an emphasis on higher-level discussion in the classroom, it is important to create an environment where students can learn to back-up and support their thinking.  We do a lot of discussing in my class, but I have been trying to work with my students on keeping the conversation going and having meaningful discussion.  We do sentence starters, and sometimes I even record my kids discussing and let them watch it to focus on what they need to improve on.  A new technique that I have started is this discussion cube.  When the conversation wanes or gets stuck, they just roll the cube and continue with the discussion.  This has helped to show my students how to carry on a discussion, and it has also encouraged some really deep conversations.

This resource is provided HERE!

-h

1 comment:

  1. Very nice idea and easy to customize for different lessons and grades.

    Sara
    http://misssara2008.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete